Module 12: Final Post Launch

Relationship with Technology

Reflecting on my relationship with technology, I see it as a double-edged sword. On the
one hand, technology improves my life by giving me access to information, connecting me with others, and providing tools for efficiency and creativity. On the other hand, it's easy to fall into bad habits, such as spending too much time on social media or relying on technology at the expense of in-person contacts and mental health. I try to find a balance, but it's difficult. While technology informs and improves my studies, it also overwhelms me with information that can be deceptive. I make a concerted effort to verify the credibility of my sources, but the sheer volume of content makes it difficult to avoid biases and misinformation completely. I am concerned about these issues since they include personal habits and broader societal ramifications. The pervasiveness of technology, as well as its impact on privacy, mental health, and society standards, are serious issues that must be addressed. However, these concerns are frequently mitigated by the fact that technology is deeply ingrained in our daily lives and provides indisputable benefits.

In examining my family and acquaintances, I notice various connections with technology. For some, it is a good influence, allowing them to work remotely, attend online classes, and stay in touch with family. For others, it might cause distractions, shorter attention spans, and even social isolation. Our family rule is no phones at the dinner table, so we can all sit down and talk without getting distracted by our cell phones. Technology plays two roles in my relationships. It promotes communication and shared experiences while simultaneously creating boundaries. For example, while social media or other messaging apps allow us to stay in touch with those farther away, they can occasionally replace more meaningful connections.  Furthermore, the continual presence of technology can cause misunderstandings and a sense of alienation, even when we are physically present.

Given my digital footprint, I understand the value of keeping a favorable digital profile. If I applied for a job today, a potential employer would certainly discover my social media profile and plenty of information relating to volleyball including my bio from the roster, articles, and photos/videos. I do my best to create an image that reflects my values, interests, and professionalism. However, I acknowledge that I avoid posting certain content to ensure what people see is consistent with the image I want to project. Also, there have been times I have removed posts because they did not align with my values, especially as I have gotten older. Maintaining adequate privacy settings and being cautious about what I share publicly are continuous habits.

On a societal level, our relationship with technology is complex. Technology alters our democracy, influences public debate, and has an impact on collective behavior and decision-making. It has enormous promise for advancement, but it also carries concerns, such as the spread of misinformation, the degradation of privacy, and the widening of socioeconomic disparities. We must approach these difficulties wisely, remembering that technology is not intrinsically good or bad, but rather a tool that reflects and amplifies human intents and actions. Critical thinking, digital literacy, and ethical norms are all necessary steps toward ensuring that technology enhances rather than undermines our humanity.

To summarize, our connection with technology is diverse and developing. Personally, I strive for a balanced and thoughtful approach, cognizant of both the benefits and the drawbacks. Observing its effects on individuals around me emphasizes the importance of conscious involvement and self-regulation. As a society, we must negotiate the complexities of technology with understanding and responsibility, ensuring that it benefits our overall well-being. By reflecting on our encounters with technology, we can gain a greater understanding of its role in our lives and work toward a healthier, more educated society.

Comments

Popular Posts